Wednesday, September 25, 2013

My Big Chop

     On May 24, 2012 just one week shy of my 38th birthday I decided to do the BC (Big Chop). I had been thinking about it for a while but was afraid to take that big leap. Going natural is a very personal decision and I knew that once I cut off my permed ends there would be no turning back. Having long hair most of my life and getting relaxers since I was 12, I had to be sure that I would be able to live with this new lifestyle. For eight months I watched youtube videos on transitioning hairstyles such as bantu knot outs, two strand twist, buns, and rod sets to name a few. Once I had grown about four inches of hair I decided to build up the courage to cut off my permed ends. I washed my hair so that I was able to see the permed ends and went to work with my brand new shears. I would not recommend cutting your own hair! After 30 minutes of watching my hair fall to the floor my nerves kicked in but the decision had already been made and executed. 
     In the beginning I had a love hate relationship with my new natural tress. Some days I loved my short curls and other days I wanted to hide them under a hat or scarf. My lack of knowledge and experience played a huge part in my insecurities. I began to research natural hair products and how to properly use them. I followed some great natural vlogs (Taren Guy, Nikkimae and Beautifulbrwnbabydol) that showed me hairstyles to wear during each stage of my journey. I am now 16 months natural and I'm so happy with the decision I made.
     My goal first an foremost is to have healthy hair. I would love to have waist length hair in the next three years. If I do not reach that goal, retaining whatever length I have and keeping my hair healthy will suffice. I have made many mistakes and learned a lot through trial and error these last 16 months. I plan on sharing both the good and bad on my continued journey. I am by no means a hair expert. Everything I post on this blog will be my personal experience. If you have any questions, advice or tips on natural hair please comment below. Below is a link on my big chop video and some hairstyles I wore during my journey thus far. Thanks for reading :)


No comments:

Post a Comment